What is Lycopene?
Lycopene is a natural pigment and antioxidant that gives a red color to fruits and vegetables. In lycopene there is a carotenoid, a type of compound produced by plants and responsible for their bright colors. It is high in red fruits and vegetables like tomatoes, watermelon, papaya, and guava. It is designed for its potential health benefits, particularly in reducing of chronic diseases.
Health Benefits of Lycopene:
Lycopene has virile antioxidant properties which is associated with some health benefits. Antioxidants protect the personify against the damaging effects of free radicals, which are unstable molecules that cause cellular damage and inflammation. Here are some of the potential health benefits:
1. Risk of Cancer: Several studies have suggested that lycopene may help reduce the risk of cancer, particularly prostate cancer. In 2014, a meta-analysis study explained that excessive intake associates with a reduced risk of prostate cancer.
2. Improving Heart Health: Lycopene has been shown to ameliorate some put-on-the-line factors for heart disease, including blood pressure, cholesterin levels, and inflammation, and in a 2011 review of 14 studies establish that its supplementation significantly rock-bottom systolic blood pressure.
3. Protecting Against Macular Degeneration: Lycopene has been shown to protect against age-related macular degeneration, a park eye disease that can cause vision loss. A 2013 study ground that a higher dietary antioxidant intake of lycopene was joined with a slashed risk of age-related macular degeneration.
4. Boosting the unaffected System: Lycopene has been shown to have immunomodulatory effects, a substance it can promote the immune system and help fight bump-off infections. A 2011 study ground that its supplementation increased levels of immune cells in healthy volunteers.
5. Reducing Inflammation: prolonged rubor is a risk factor for some chronic diseases, including spirit disease, diabetes, and cancer. Lycopene has anti-inflammatory properties and serves to reduce inflammation in the body.
Food Sources of Lycopene
Ways to increase the absorption of lycopene?
Lycopene is a fat-soluble nutrient antioxidant. It ameliorates and absorbs by the personify when we consume with dietary fat. Here are rough tips to increase lycopene absorption:
1. Cooked Tomatoes: Cooking tomatoes put up increases the bioavailability of lycopene by breaking toss off the undefined walls and making it easier for the personify to absorb.
2. Pair with Healthy Fats: Consuming lycopene with healthy fats care olive oil or avocado can improve absorption. For example, descending olive oil on a salad with tomatoes or adding avocado to salsa with tomatoes tin help increase the bioavailability of lycopene.
3. Supplements: Lycopene supplements are available in the form of capsules, tablets, and easy gels. However, the general suggestion is to obtain lycopene from whole foods rather than supplements, as whole foods contain a variety of nutrients that work synergistically to elevate health.
4. Food Processing: solid food processing tin likewise improve the bioavailability of lycopene. For example, tomato paste and tomato sauce are more undiluted sources of lycopene than raw tomatoes and are easier for the body to absorb.
5. Combination of Different Foods: intense a variety of lycopene-containing foods tin besides help increase overall lycopene intake and improve absorption. Eating a diet rich people in colorful fruits and vegetables can play a variety show of beneficial compounds, including lycopene.
Side effects of Lycopene
Lycopene is generally safe and well-tolerated when consumed in solid food amounts. However, high doses of lycopene supplements may cause some side effects, including nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. It is always best to obtain lycopene from unit foods quite than supplements but whole foods supply a variety of nutrients that work together to promote health.
It’s been joining with some potential health benefits, including reducing the risk of cancer, improving spirit health, and protecting against macular degeneration. Consumption of dietary plump and undefined with a variety of colorful fruits and vegetables can help maximize absorption and cater to a range of health-promoting compounds.